Old 30-12-2010, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Saving rain water

"cshenk" wrote in message
"FarmI" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe for drinking.

According to a couple of sites I looked at, it's a half a teaspoon per 5
gallons. But I doubt whether doubling the dose would be a problem and I
wouldn't even bother to add any for such a small amount of water. I'd
worry more about mosquitos breeding in it so would use it quick sticks.

I got different answers too so picked one that made more sense to a
storage tank. It breaks down fairly fast.

Quick Sticks? Not familar with that. Fill me in?

Ah sorry. I try to post in a universal language North Americans can
understand easily without resorting to google but sometimes the local lingo
slips out (David H-S would know what I meant). It just means 'quickly'.