Old 30-12-2010, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Tomato Support Idea (Oren)

The breaking strength on parachute cord in 550 lbs. If you soak the
cord in water for a short while before you use it, the cord will shrink
a small amount. The cord is about 3/16" in diameter. The problem I had
when I used the store bought wire tomato cages was that the branches of
my plants would bend down over the wire cage and snap off. I think the
problem with the cages is the fact that the wire doesn't have any give
to it and the branches tend to break instead. The parachute cord will
indeed have some give and it's a bit heaver in diameter also. Hopefully
this should work better than the cages. I'll also drive the steel
stakes into the ground at least a foot or more which should make a good
sturdy support.

Rich