Old 30-12-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default temperatures; max/min

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:30:57 -0000, "vsop"
wrote:

It was perhaps the day our central heating condensing boiler packed-up
because the drain outlet froze, apparently a common feature of this type of
boiler....according to today's Daily Mail.

I have 3 friends who all had just the same problem just before
Christmas. A very bad design fault. The remedy in all cases was
simple; break up the ice with a hammer!

It's bad installation, not design of the boilers.

If the condensate drain is plumbed internally (probably best), or
plumbed in big enough bore pipe (I think 32mm is recommended generally,
and suitably lagged it should be ok.

Of course lagging by itself has limited effect. If freezing is a problem
in these situatiosn then heat tape under the lagging will stop the
freezing

Unfortunately, lots have been installed with badly installed drainage,
and it was got away with becuase we had a run of faily mild winters. but
it's only in the last couple of colder winters, those chickens have coem
home to roost.

Well, at least the plumbers can make a few bob putting it right :-)
--
Chris French