Old 30-12-2010, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Sad story re pond

"someone" wrote

my 6' x 4' pond had 10 goldfish and a couple of other waifs and
strays. All were fine until a few days ago.

Ice became quite thick, about an inch, on the pond, so I melted
it down with a large pot of boiling water, and achieved a hole
about 18" diameter. All the fish were fine. I put a black
dustbin lid on it to keep the hole open, and lo and behold, the
next day all the fish were still fine and four frogs popped up as
well at the edge of the ice. Every evening I put the lid down and
every day I removed it, and there were the fish and the frogs. I
didn't even think I had frogs.

I am sorry to hear of your loss ;-(

Last week I poured hot water over my small similar sized pond to
create an air hole through the ice, the ice was about three inches
thick at the time, though I only poured the water in at one end of
the pond not in the centre.

This afternoon after work a decided to check the pond as the ice
has almost completely melted and as I counted my six goldfish, I
then noticed four frogs on the bottom of the pond, two large ones
and two small ones, I don't know the difference between male and
female but maybe I'll get frogspawn in the spring, however I have
no idea if the frogs were in there prior to the ice or since the
thaw, but I'm glad they are there all the same.

The hedgehog also appears to be still in his hide fast asleep.

We are already making plans for more work to do in the garden come
spring....... can't wait!

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes