Old 31-12-2010, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Chilli plant without chillies

On Dec 29, 1:31*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
Gunner wrote:

If you are interested, *Google *growing Hydroponic peppers (or
tomatoes). Dr Lynette Morgan from NZ is a very good source of info
and has been known to answer emails.
http://www.growingedge.com/staff/profiles/morgan.html

/

If the book Collapse is 10 % on target this issue is trivial. *Salt
will kill Australia. Fresh water and habitat destruction of all *minor
and *potential farming areas.

"Bill who putters" post appears to gave been pulled or something is
amiss. Was there some connection of hydroponics to salinization or
misunderstanding of mineral salts?
Regardless here is a page of references on salinization that maybe of
help in understanding some of the issues about salinization.
http://environmental-issues.wikispac...ation+of+soils

I would like to highlight some words Diamond write in the referenced
book for those that may tend to overreach or misstate to illustrate
their myopic opinion:

"Writers find it tempting to draw analogies between those trajectories
of human societies and the trajectories of individual human lives-to
talk of a society's birth, growth, peak, senescence, and death-and to
assume that the long period of senescence that most of us traverse
between our peak years and our deaths also applies to societies. But
that metaphor proves erroneous for many past societies ...."

"We shouldn't be so naïve as to think that study of the past will
yield simple solutions, directly transferable to our societies today.
"

so to falsely say that "chemferts kills soil" or simplisticly that
BS is the panacea does nothing to address the 12 environmental
problems facing mankind today that he outlines.