Old 31-12-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Cider apple pulper update

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:25:36 +1300, "George"
wrote:

for the cider makers in the group.

The apple pulper works fine. An old $10 waste disposal unit, taken apart
and
cleaned up and then reassembled. Now in its own collapsable stand. It can
be
lifted in and out for portability and sits in a small aluminium sink.

Aluminum will impart a foul taste to acetic fruit.

After
about the 8th apple the pulped up apples start sliding out the bottom
tube.
Each whole apple takes about 5-10 seconds to become mush.

How will you separate the solids from the juice? And how will you
prevent oxidation? Here in upstate NY there are many cider
operations, all press whole apples and bottle the extracted juice
immediately. I don't see how you can make cider from apple mush.
Seems to me all you're doing is ruining apples.

Sheesh! How do you think the Brits used to made cider? It's a drink that
the Brits have made famous centuries ago. They made cider long before there
was a place called New York and their old presses are lumbering and slow and
their bottling isn't 'immediate'.