Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Controlling an ex-Christmas Tree

On Dec 31 2010, 4:19*pm, Eddy
wrote:
Some seasonal help, please.

Some years ago, maybe five or six, the previous owner of this house
planted outdoors a small pine tree which had served indoors as a
Christmas Tree.

But unfortunately this little pine tree was planted about 10 feet from
the side of the house. *It is now well established and healthy but it
has now reached a height of about 8 feet.

I'ld like to leave it where it is, but can it be controlled? *Can I turn
it into a kind of ornamental shrub which will be trimmed each year, like
other ornamental conifers?

If I trim off the top 2 feet (reducing it to 6 feet), and then prune all
the branches below that level to create a narrow cone of branches, will
its branches sprout and cause the tree to thicken with needles?

Or will such a pruning kill it? *(Since pines have all their needles at
the end of each branch, the pruning back will certainly remove all the
current greenery/needles.)

If pruning is OK, when would be the best time to do this? *Now, or
early/mid/late spring? *Or later?

Many thanks.

Eddy.

You can trim all the branches back, but not really lop the top off.
However being sensible is to get rid of it now before it becomes a
serious problem which it will. Not a suitable tree for near a house or
the small garden.
They are selected for speed of growth and nothing else.