Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New post about hand tools.

DogDiesel wrote:
Hi, and Happy New Year.
I want to start a post about hand tools. Because I don't have
ANY.. I'm feeling pretty good about last years endeavor. I'm really
want to get going. There's so many hoes and , Well, tools, I don't
know what to get. But I have weed issues. I thought the best thing to
do was to pull them and as much of the root as possible. And I see
in a couple catalogs there's Swiss hoes and weed removers that cut
weeds. So what do you consider indispensable tools. That just make
things much easier. And what works really well on weeds.

Diesel.

For small hand tools like trowels, weeding forks etc I am quite a fan of
cast aluminium. These are cheap but effective and much better than the mild
steel sort which bend, break and rust very easily.

Specifically for weeds it depends on the weed. If the weed will re-shoot
from the base chopping of the top with a hoe is not very effective.

David