Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fish drifting helplessly

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 22:24:33 -0000, Bill Grey wrote:

http://goldfish-emergency.com/viewpage.php?page_id=4

Goldfish keeping these days seesm to be a damn sight harder than I
remember it when we had a couple of Goldfish in a plain tank on the
sideboard when I was a lad. Seems these days you must have a
bio-active filters, monitor the water weekly for hardness, Ph,
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. do partial changes weekly, (adding
stuff to tap water to make it "safe") etc etc.

We are setting up an aquarium ATM and all information I've seen is
that Ammonia (from the fish respiration, decompostion of waste and
excess food) is lethal above a few PPM. The bio-active filter has
bacteria that take the Ammonia and convert it to Nitrites, they are
only toxic to the fish. Another set of bacteria take the Nitrites and
convert them to Nitrates that are harmless to fish except in very
high concentrations but the partial water changes should keep the
Nitrate levels low.

Does the OP's aquarium have the "technology" or is it just a tank
with water in it? What regular water quality maintenace is performed?

--
Cheers
Dave.