Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default New post about hand tools.

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
Hi, and Happy New Year.
I want to start a post about hand tools. Because I don't have ANY.. I'm
feeling pretty good about last years endeavor. I'm really want to get
going. There's so many hoes and , Well, tools, I don't know what to get.
But I have weed issues. I thought the best thing to do was to pull them
and as much of the root as possible. And I see in a couple catalogs
there's Swiss hoes and weed removers that cut weeds.
So what do you consider indispensable tools. That just make things much
easier. And what works really well on weeds.

It depends on your weed and how you like to work. I like to get up close
and personal with my weeds. I odnt' likelong handled implements.

For really BIG weeds such as phalaris clumps, I use a very strong, good
quality gardening fork.

For smaller weeds in say the veggie or flower beds, I use the following
depending on the weed and the situation:
a) a 'mattock' like device made form a leaf spring from a car - wide at one
eand and about 1 inch at the other. A brilliant 'ladies' sized tool hand
made by a friend.
b) a small hand fork.
c) a kama - THE most used tool in my garden kit box. It can be used to get
under the roots of a weed, it can be used to cut off the top of a weed, it
can be used to hand cultivate
http://www.greenharvest.com.au/tools...ools_prod.html