Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default So, does ivy really choke trees?

Alan wrote in news
In message , Donnie
wrote
always believed that ivy choked trees but then happened to hear on the
winter edition of Springwatch that you shouldnt remove the ivy as it
provided habitats for wildlife etc.

A habitat for rats in an urban environment.

I think so too. Possibly looking for eggs to feed the festering brood.
O.K. not this time of year. Do birds roost in ivy? If they do then the rats
would certainly take a weak undernourished bird. (if that is the correct
spelling, Pete, the Perfect Prefect, Present Periodically Pertaining to the
Parsing of Permanent Precipitation. ie:canal water)
Grey squirrels too if I'm not wrong. Who would want a squirrel in their
garden? not me, but apparently if caught and released is illegal, but make
nice eating.

Baz