Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Default any experience on life of CF lighting

In article fx8Q9.566282$QZ.81790@sccrnsc02,
Alex R wrote:
It depends on the bulb. I kept my 96-W Panasonic bulb for almost 2 years
before replacing it. But the replacement bulb, which was a cheap generic,
only lasted 4 months before the glass cracked. On top of that, the generic
was not very bright to begin with and it lost more light intensity during
the 4 months than the Panasonic during the 2 years. So stick with brand name
bulbs. I believe AH Supplies carries them. They should last at least one
year, but then again, it depends on how much light you're willing to lose.

While I've been one of the strongest proponents of changing bulbs
every 6 months it's been pointed out to me that if you have a graph
of the decay in luminous flux over time and find that, say, a bulb
goes to 50% in one year but doesn't decay much afetr that, then
the thing to do is use twice the number of bulbs and leave them
till they go black.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org