Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default New post about hand tools.

"DogDiesel" wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hi, and Happy New Year.
I want to start a post about hand tools. Because I don't have ANY..
I'm
feeling pretty good about last years endeavor. I'm really want to get
going. There's so many hoes and , Well, tools, I don't know what to get.
But I have weed issues. I thought the best thing to do was to pull them
and
as much of the root as possible. And I see in a couple catalogs there's
Swiss hoes and weed removers that cut weeds.
So what do you consider indispensable tools. That just make things much
easier. And what works really well on weeds.

1. Get a decent grinder and learn how to sharpen your garden tools. This
means spades, hoes and anything else that needs a good edge.

I have a dremel. Im pretty adept with it. I dont have a grinder though.
Well, I did, I gave it to somebody starting a shop. Maybe I will get
another one.

2. Keep a file nearby to maintain the edge on those tools while you are
working.

Ahh, good one. Never thought about it.

I dont have a wheel barrow, or any hoes. I do have a pointed shovel. I was
just out looking around, I think somebody heisted my sprinkler. But i found
a basket with a hand trowel gloves, and a knife. I think they were my moms
years ago.

I saw a Swiss D how in territorial or Johnies catalog. They aint cheap,
but Home Depot and Loews dont have one.

Could try wallymart or a garden center for the D-Hoe. However if you have
no hoes at all the standard angle hoe would be a better choice. I should
have also stated not just "Rake" i should have stated "Garden Rake" one
side good for raking and loosening the soil, the other side should be flat
not curved, which is good for leveling the soil.

For small gardens, the shovel is good for turning the soil or double
digging the soil. The shovel is better than a tiller. Most tillers only go
about six inches and leaves a hard bottom. A shovel can go at least a foot
deep for loosening the soil.

For small gardens a wagon would work or two five gallon buckets, one for
small tools and the other for soil or cuttings for the compost pile. A
compost pile should be part of any garden. Will save you money in the long
term. I use chicken wire with a few poles to hold up the wire.

I find that my favorite hand trowel is a one dollar cheap brand new plastic
one.
The metal ones pit and rust quickly and cost more.

The dremel is one of my favorite tools. Do you have the lawn mower blade
sharpener attachment for it? A nice item, but I often just add a stone and
sharpen the tools. Also great for pumpkin carving.

If some one heisted your sprinkler system. A thirty eight snub nosed chiefs
special may or may not be your best garden tool