Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Weather

On Jan 2, 10:35*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , hugh
] writes

In message ,
writes
Paul Luton wrote:
Coldest December for over a hundred years. I put it down to global
warming
Coldest December in UK ! Yes it might well be a side effect of global
warming.

Apparently if it really is a side-effect of the ice-caps melting diverting
the gulf stream away from us, it's going to do a lot more harm to the
country's climate and weather system than we're currently seeing. *:-/

AIUI the perceived threat is that the gulf stream will just stop

That's one. Another is that the absence of sea ice in the Kara and
Barents Seas produces high-pressure systems that direct cold air over
northern Eurasia and Canada.

But last month may just be a result of weather, and nothing to do with
climate change.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Many years ago, in the days of the Light programme and the Home
Service, not to mention the Third Programme.
A comedian on Workers Playtime said that in Britain we dont have a
climate, we just have weather.
How right he was.
David Hill