Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Bird feeder question

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message Piggy-backing on your
question, my wife has heard that it's not good
to put out fat for the birds, either on its own or mixed with oats or
breadcrumbs or whatever, as fat balls. As fat is a good source of
energy, why not? The birds seem to go for it.

--

I can't think why not except that commercially available fat balls are
wrapped in nets and birds can get their feet caught in them. Might be a

Some commercial fat balls come in the nets, but it's easy to buy them
loose - we by them in bulk packs, and put them in a suitable feeder.

Have made our own bfore, and the kids sometimes like to do it. But by
the time we've bought the fat (veggie, so we don't have any waste), the
seeds etc. it's probably just as cheap to by them ready made. Esp. give
the rate they can be gone through.
--
Chris French