Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Hedgehog update

On Jan 2, 9:34*pm, Michael Bell wrote:
In message

In message
On 2010-12-19 16:02:52 +0000, said:
Interesting how long before he took his wintery nap.

I have left the hedgehog well alone, the only prints in the snow
near the hide are from cats and pigeons but they can't get to the
cat food.

Stephen.

Would it be worth putting some of that food at a distance from
Hog's Home, so as to distract the other animals from it? *I
really don't know so I'd be interested to see what others know,
think, or have experienced.

The hedgehog food house is about 12 feet away from the hide, if I
lay food out elsewhere the cats will get it, although I wouldn't
mind birds getting to it but we feed them anyway as a matter of
course.
Having said that the entrance of the hide is very narrow, too
narrow for a cat to get in, I hope, can't think of a smaller
predator that visits our garden that might be a danger to the
hedgehog.
We do feel quite privileged that we have a resident hedgehog.
Stephen.

I had a tame hedgehog for some years. I fed him on cat food which I
put on a plate and I put an upturned plastic bucket over it which had
a slot cut into it, and a brick on top of that to stop it from being
knocked or blown over. As I remember the slot was about 2 cm high, 6
cm wide and the bottom lip was 2 cm above ground level, a hedgehog
could get through, but it was too narrow for a cat to get its head
through. The food was usually gone in the morning, and if I stayed up
late I sometimes saw him go in. See also

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Michael Bell

--

You'd be surprised at what small space a cat can get through (36
seconds in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTasT5h0LEg