Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Moles

On 03/01/2011 08:27, 'Mike' wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
The only thing blooming in the garden here is the Moles 47 blooming
new mole hills since the snow started to go.

Don't know about the bulbs David but my daughter and son in law have been
troubled by moles for years and have tried just about everything. Last
summer, one grass area to the side of the pond some 50 metres square was
ruined by moles and when they moved to the other side of the pond to an even
larger area, d& sil were tearing their hair out, their own!!

However, they found and bought a solar device which sticks into the ground
near or in an existing run, and hay presto, the moles cleared off from that
area, so the device was moved and success again.

We will be with them later today and I will get details. They are pleased
with it.

I don't know how deep Moles go, but it is a large walled garden so they need
to be killed or they need to go deep under the footings of the wall if they
want to escape ;-)

Mike

As moles are there (I believe) looking for food i.e. worms, perhaps
killing the worms might be a solution. I have noticed since the snow has
gone that there are an extraordinary number of mole hills everywhere.
Now I would have thought that the exceptionally cold weather would have
killed them off. Maybe they kept ward by breeding! ;-0