Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Default Sagittaria & Vallisneria

Another thing about this new light (Coral Life 4 x 65), it only casts
a lot of light to the back of the tank while the front gets less than
it used to.

Yes, that's the problem with power compact flourescents -- the "compact" part.
g That's why I ended up getting another light strip. It wasn't that my tank
didn't have enough light; it was. Everything was growing great, with just one
2x65w strip. But with only one PCF light strip, I had to constantly move the
strip around, or the plants would lean noticeably toward the light. I got the
second light strip so I didn't have to worry about that any more. And the
plants promptly started growing so fast that my Carbo-Plus couldn't keep up,
and I had to get compressed CO2.

I would say the light from this fixture is much more
"focused" than regular tubes. Would you agree with this?

Definitely. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd just get a 4' shop light
or two. It would have been a heck of a lot cheaper. And you'd have a lot more
control over the lighting.

Leigh,
looking at your web site and reading you tank specs, it sounds like
you have 2 CF fixtures with 2 bulbs each. Is that correct.

Yes. In back is a Custom Sealife 2x65w strip, and in front is an All-Glass
2x55w.

Your tank
looks so bright! Mine is bright, just not like yours is bright.

That's odd. I would expect your light fixture to be extremely bright,
especially when it's new.

Maybe the Coralife has a bad reflector...but it surely can't be worse than the
All-Glass one. As others have noted, All-Glass' reflectors are terrible.

It's probably just that I have one of my light strips flush with the front of
the tank, so it's very bright in front. (The low plants -- glosso, lilaeopsis,
etc., are there, so I wanted light right over them.)

If I
take this CF light back and get two fixtures with 2 tubes each, I
believe that would distribute the light better. What do you think?

It probably would. OTOH, it does mean I have to pick up the front light strip
and put it on top of the rear one every time I open the tank to feed the fish.

FWIW, the Custom Sealife PCF light strips have much better reflectors than the
All-Glass. If you get Custom Sealife, get the Britelite, not the Smartlite.

But AH Supply or a big ol' shop light from Home Depot would be a lot cheaper.

Also, how many of you use the "standard" glass tops like from
All-Glass?

That's what I use. It's inexpensive, easy, and sturdy. The cat can jump on
the top the tank without any fear he'll fall in. You just have to remember to
wipe the glass every once in awhile, to keep dust, hard water deposits, etc.,
from blocking the light. (I use a solution of vinegar and water.)

BTW...with this much light in your tank, you need more than just Sag and Val in
your tank. You must have enough fast-growing plants to out-compete the algae.
You should plant 80% of the tank or more, and, at least at first, most of the
plants should be fast-growing stem plants. Hygrophila, Cabomba, Limnophila,
Rotala, etc.

Leigh