Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Property Line Looks Like A Jungle (Nad)

EVP MAN wrote:
The thing is Nad, we like our house and I shouldn't have to move just
because of one disrespectful neighbor. Our property line is very
clear as it was surveyed and the survey stakes are at each corner.
Stretch a line from stake to stake and both myself and the neighbor
know where the line is. Yes, I could cut all the bushes that hang
over on my side but then it would be up to me to get rid of all the
brush which isn't easy living in town and driving a sub compact car.
This neighbor has a pickup truck! The point is, I wouldn't do this
to him or any other of my neighbors and I don't like it being done to
me. I don't care at all what he has planted so long as it remains on
his side. I shouldn't have to waste my time or money in any way to
solve this problem.

Too bad, but what grows onto your side is your problem, and it is your right to
deal with it. You can cut off anything growing across the property line unless
doing so will substantially damage the plants. A good neighbor might worry about
your side, and help out. Too bad you don't have one.

I do prune back a hedge I planted on one side of my house from the neighbor's
side every few years. It's just the right thing to do.