Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Sad story re pond

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote ...

No fish in there before. The pond dried up a while back and the few fish
in
there died, dispite efforts to save them :-((
No the pond was clear.

But how long ago? If a stream flows into the pond then fish fry can come
in too and they would grow well with little competition. They can even
come in as eggs stuck to the legs of wading birds. So, if it's a few years
ago that it dried up there may well be a few native fish in the pond again
now.

Don't think we have anything like the annual Killifish in this country
unfortunately.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killifish

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Wading birds :-((

Seen in excess of 70 ducks there before. And they don't half make a mess on
the path which surrounds the pond. Moorhens and Coots as well.

The pond dried out in 2009 and with the overflow being one of the supplies
to the Village Pond, there was a 'visitation' from a water board/council
official looking to see if we were 'stopping the flow for our advantage' but
when he saw the state of the pond he understood.

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.