Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Hedgehog update

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

In message
wrote:

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

Would it be worth putting some of that food at a distance from
Hog's Home, so as to distract the other animals from it? I
really don't know so I'd be interested to see what others know,
think, or have experienced.

The hedgehog food house is about 12 feet away from the hide, if I
lay food out elsewhere the cats will get it, although I wouldn't
mind birds getting to it but we feed them anyway as a matter of
course.

Having said that the entrance of the hide is very narrow, too
narrow for a cat to get in, I hope, can't think of a smaller
predator that visits our garden that might be a danger to the
hedgehog.

We do feel quite privileged that we have a resident hedgehog.

Stephen.

I had a tame hedgehog for some years. I fed him on cat food which I
put on a plate and I put an upturned plastic bucket over it which had
a slot cut into it, and a brick on top of that to stop it from being
knocked or blown over. As I remember the slot was about 2 cm high, 6
cm wide and the bottom lip was 2 cm above ground level, a hedgehog
could get through, but it was too narrow for a cat to get its head
through. The food was usually gone in the morning, and if I stayed up
late I sometimes saw him go in. See also

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Michael Bell

I see you're a fellow RO user Michael ;-)

You're right, but how can you tell?

Michael Bell

I remember your name from the RO newsgroups and viewed your
headers.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes