Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default So lonely...

"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I find it absolutley astounding that a 23 year old Private had access to
so
much information that has nothing at all to do with the military and
while
he was stationed in Iraq. Manning wasn't in Washinton in some snug
office
job but was stationed in what is effectively a combat zone.

That is simply astounding and beyond common sense. Heads should roll but
it
should be at very senior levels. Of course it'll be a silly young
Private
who gets crucified and the real incompetents who should be held
accountable
will get away with it.

Before 9/11 the intelligence agencies were divided and did not share
information. Information was splintered and few were allowed to see the
information collected.
After 9/11 a new agency was created called "Homeland Security". A vast new
agency that shared information from the different agencies like, NSA, CIA,
Military and the FBI. It was a knee jerk reaction and this gigantic
agency
was throw together haphazardly. Some people had access to information that
should not have, like a young Private that may not have as much maturity
as
an older person would have.

The stuff up by the intelligence community before 9/11 is well know as is
the scramble afterwards, but I can't see how that can excuse another stuff
up that seems to be pretty basic in nature.

Conditions in Iraq must be considered to be unstable at best even if anyone
wants to do a bit of sanitising and not claim its a combat zone. Having so
much information which US sources say is 'sensitive' accessable in Iraq is
just asking for trouble (even if it has all been as dull as dishwater).
Iraq would be a locale where most troops will suffer from some stresses and
strains arising from serving there. Manning is young and if he did what
he's accused of, then anyone should wonder if there is a major problem with
him. The consequences of such actions would be obvious to any serving
personnel as should the stupidity of bragging about leaking to a complete
stranger. Those actions aren't what I'd call 'normal'.

I assume Manning would have needed a Top Secret clearance at a minimum if
the info is as sensitive as it's been claimed. The sort of stringent checks
needed to get that sort of clearance should have shown up some reservations
about him.

The military complex is a behemoth that is bankrupting the United States
just to help the international corporations to stay mega rich while the
citizens go broke.

Yeah, but that military behemoth also solves a lot of unemployment problems.

People vote for the behemoth military out of fear and lies from our
politicians. Like most behemoth facilities they tend to get out of control
and run by local nut jobs.

I suspect your 'local' would not actually very local. I suspect it's more
like very 'senior' with lots of fruit salad hanging off the chest and
currently doing lots of backpedalling in order to cover a broad arse that
derserves a thorough kicking.