Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Edington Joan Edington is offline

Default Still missing Geoff Hamilton

Oh, how I agree. Geoff was the presenter when my now husband and I bought
our first house with a garden. Having never done more than cut grass and
weed before, we hung on his every word and turned out a small veggie plot,
flourishing greenhouse and several shrubberies and beds over the first few
years. After he left and we were subjected to the gruesome Titmarsh, we
couldn't stomach the program and the garden had gone downhill ever since.
The inspitation was missing. However, I retired last year and have at least
started the recovery :-)

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message
Although he died about 14yrs ago I still miss genial Geoff Hamilton.
He always spoke with great enthusiasm directly to YOU and inspired
confidence in all of us, enabling us to achieve what we had
previously thought impossible. He broke gardening down into simple,
easy to grasp chunks, that even the least green-fingered of us could
understand and put into practice.

Anyone remember his carry-cot cold frame, made from a cardboard box
painted white with a clear plastic cover? This device used to come
out at the start of every season, showing us how inexpensive gardening
can be if approached his way.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness