Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Seed Potatoes: 2 questions

harry wrote in
:

On Jan 5, 12:36*pm, Baz wrote:
I thought that before buying this year I would ask 2 Q's about first
earlies and maincrop.

1/ Does small seed potato mean small crop? By small seed size I mean
pige

on
egg size or smaller, and large seed size I mean chickens egg or
larger.

*

2/ In the UK. which is the earliest first early cropping variety you
have grown?

I intend to grow:
Swift,(first early) purely because I have read they are THE first
early. Arran Pilot,(first early) for their beautiful taste.
Pentland Javelin,(first early) taste, size and cropping, though a
later crop.
Maris Piper,(main crop) I like these because thet crop well and are
so versitile in boiling, baking, chipping and keep well.

I haven't mentioned disease resistence and have had scab with the
P.J. an

M.P. last year. Could be due to watering?

This year I am planting area 8m by 6m (big area to me) so I would
like to hear any views/ criticism or general help.

Thanks
Baz * * *

Ideal size for seed pots is egg size. But IME makes little diffence to
crop size.

Egg size eh!
Could never beleive it!

Baz(confused Baz)