Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Purple Hull peas in NY?

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:28:35 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Some southern folks were raving about Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpeas and
I was about to place an order when I began to wonder if there was a
reason I'd never grown them before.

Has anyone grown them in zone 5?

Thanks-

Jim
In the Mohawk Valley just east of Schenectady

Did the company you are ordering from give any information? Here is a
locater for all of the extension offices in the country.

My seed program says that for "Black Turtle" (closest one in my
listing) soil temperatures should be 60° to 75°F for planting. Started
and grown outside maturity in about 56 days for fresh beans. If you
want them dry add a few weeks. So, do you have a long enough growing
period?

Just checked the seed packet for Black Turtle and the sowing period
for your area is late May through July.

Take a chance. That is part of the fun of gardening. Order a small
package and see how they work.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills