Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default Advice required about (conifer - type) tree growing in my garden

On Jan 5, 7:11*pm, JaneS wrote:
About a year ago\snip\
Any advice greatly appreciated. *Thank you.

--
JaneS

Conifers tend to have shallow, extensive roots. The tree is only a
couple of years old and should cope with a move. If digging it up be
very careful not to strip the protective skin from the roots or you
will kill it. Dig wide and deeply around the tree and try to lift it
with a good rootball of soil still attached. Plant in a hole pre-
prepared to a greater depth than you expect and adjust as you offer up
the tree for planting. Water thoroughly when planting and keep moist
for the first full year. In my experience, conifers cope with being
cut back but not severely; too heavy a pruning could kill it. A photo
would help in identification - if it turns out to be a Leylandii you
might not want to keep it.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness