Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Seed Potatoes: 2 questions

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Saw one lady buy one of lots of varieties one year and put them all in the
same plastic bag which I though was a bit silly as she won't know the name
of anything when choosing for the next season.

My first year at veg. gardening went to a market to buy some seed potatoes
and bought 3 varieties, Arran Pilot and others which I can't remember the
names. They were put into plastic "asda" type bags and on the long trek
back to the car one bag split open so my son in his wisedom put them on top
of the 2 other bags which also split. When we managed to beg a bag to put
them into they were mixed up as you can imagine.
We arrived home all muddy and put them on egg boxes and the like not
knowing one from the other. A few days later they were sprouting and could
see 3 different colours on the shoots. Black, red and green.

We organised them by colour, nearly 200 seed potatoes.
They were so cheap to buy I think thats why we bought loads.

My uncle came to visit us and told us the black ones are Arran Pilot, the
green ones etc.

That was 2007 and the whole lot cost less than 5 quid.
Baz