Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Advice required about (conifer - type) tree growing in my garden

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:20:30 +0000, JaneS
wrote:

Compo in Caithness;909336 Wrote:
On Jan 5, 7:11*pm, JaneS wrote:-
About a year ago\snip\
Any advice greatly appreciated. *Thank you.

--
JaneS-

Conifers tend to have shallow, extensive roots. The tree is only a
couple of years old and should cope with a move. If digging it up be
very careful not to strip the protective skin from the roots or you
will kill it. Dig wide and deeply around the tree and try to lift it
with a good rootball of soil still attached. Plant in a hole pre-
prepared to a greater depth than you expect and adjust as you offer up
the tree for planting. Water thoroughly when planting and keep moist
for the first full year. In my experience, conifers cope with being
cut back but not severely; too heavy a pruning could kill it. A photo
would help in identification - if it turns out to be a Leylandii you
might not want to keep it.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Thank you very much for your reply. Have now done a bit of research and
one thing I do know is that is is NOT a Leylandii - I am rather an
amateur at this but if I had to guess at it I would say it is a Douglas
Pine - don't know if that would make any difference to your instructions
though. Once again thanks for advice.

Ah, no problem, then: if that really is what you've got, Douglas firs
only get to a maximum of less than four hundred feet high. You might
have one of the smaller ones, of course: they don't make more than
about seventy feet...just the job for the garden outside a flat.
Seriously, I think you should harden your heart and get rid of it. I'd
probably give the same advice about any self-sown unidentified conifer
to anybody who didn't have a very big garden to play with: you need to
choose what you have in your patch, rather than relying on guesswork.

--
Mike.