Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Still missing Geoff Hamilton

On 2011-01-06 15:40:36 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha writes
Indeed, he was wonderful but we must be fair to those who have come
after him, imo. *None of these presenters do just as they wish -
they're scripted and directed and the general target audience is up to
the producers and programmers.

Indeed!! In fact I feel that until they change the production team we
aren't going to see a lot of differences in any time soon on the
gardening programmes. I wonder if a case could be made for putting out
programmes just for the Internet maybe with some advertising to pay for
it.
We could watch really in depth gardening lectures/podcasts/webinars via
computers rather than rely on what the media want us to see.

I might even subscribe to a service like that.

I think money would come into it again - royalties/repeat fees to the
presenters perhaps, that sort of thing. *There are several web sites
like Shoot which give gardening advice, if I've got that name right. *
They started a section with videos from real gardeners and nurserymen
showing how various jobs are done but I don't know how much it's looked
at. *The production team has changed, I believe. *The ones that came
here to pick up some plants for Carol to use (Brugmansias) were very
knowledgeable plants people but I don't know anything about the
executive producer. *What GW needs is a very strong 'anchor' and
definitely NOT someone beating their own personal drum about any
particular way of gardening. Present the facts, the 'how to do it' bit
and let the viewers make up their own minds. *To spray or not to spray,
that is the question. *;-)
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

The problem with the spray or not spray argument is that the way
things are going there will be nothing left to use as a spray with the
way chemicals etc are being removed from the market.
Soon they will even look at spraying water