Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphayden View Post
Thanks for your input, both. Looks like more research is necessary. Yes, when i get back i will check out some garden centres again... there wasn't much around when i was there last time though (mainly small clumping varieties). Can anyone suggest a less aggressive runner which might get to 5 metres for the climate mentioned above? I accept that for the job i need my bamboo to do, i might just have to line the thing.

I am looking to generate a dense hedge 15m x 4m x 3 or 4m high, which will be contained on one side by an existing field hedge and can be managed on the other with no need for lining. I am assuming that apart from the lining and the issue of how tall the thing gets depending on my location, that the bissetti is otherwise a reasonable choice?
To know what kind of a runner is not an aggressive runner in a specific conditions, you'd really have to take very local advice. If you are going to plant at 1m intervals, why not plant a clumper instead? Take a few years, but they'll fill out to a metre across. In terms of the -20C minimum, you are pretty much restricted to Fargesia. You can get Fargesias that will grow to your desired height. Though they might need a bit of watering in a hot dry spell in the summer.

Btw what's in this field the other side of the hedge? If it's livestock, then you haven't a problem as they will eat the shoots anyway.