Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default Advice required about (conifer - type) tree growing in my garden

On Jan 7, 11:42*am, echinosum
wrote:
JaneS;909287 Wrote: About a year ago I noticed a little tree sprouting out of the ground up
against the wall of my ground floor flat. *I am not entirely sure what
kind of tree it is but a conifer of some sort - I am not particularly
knowledgeable about these things - so I will just call it a 'christmas
tree type tree'!!

You can grow many kinds of conifer from seed, but many of them require
human intervention in a British climate. So I'm not aware of Leylandii
and its friends self-seeding. *What certainly can self seed very easily
are the commericially grown spruces - Sitka and Norway - which is
precisely a "christmas tree type thing". *Scots pine, yew and prickly
juniper are native, so presumably they would self seed. You mention
Douglas fir, and I think that self-seeds also. They look quite like
spruces, so can be difficult to reliable identify a small plant without
cones or flowers.

--
echinosum

I live by a railway line and the Spruce from a nearby plantation seed
readily in all sorts of places from gravel to cracks in concrete. If
spruce it be then you would not be destroying a valuable asset if you
got rid Jane. However, it might make a nice crimbo tree in three
years time :-) Whether you move it or remove it is ultimately your
choice but try and identify it properly before making that decision.