Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default The spring is sprung?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:11:11 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

2/6 in Reading during the 1950s. One place handed you a raffle ticket
and you returned when you thought it was about the right time.
Hospitals & GPs could copy this idea.

I bought a professional clipper/ beard trimmer via my
barber/hairdresser. Sheep shearing next.

12 and a half p!
My goodness, how times have changed.
What was the average wage in those days?

GBP500/annum ???

My grandad used to tell us that in WW2 he paid tuppence farthing for a
pint, and only the rich went to the barbers shop.

Beer was 1/- a pint in 1958

During the Suez crisis of 1956, petrol doubled from 2/6 a gallon to 5/= a
gallon. I had just swapped my Lambretta for a Matchless 500 cc G9

and now? Petrol is at its highest and I go an buy a Triumph Bonneville T100
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=AQ6WL3IW over 800 cc!!!

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive