Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Managed to dig today.

On 08/01/2011 13:15, Baz wrote:
Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for weeks to
have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the parsnip, carrot
and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have a barrow more than
half full of them.
The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I don't
think they will save very well, which is a pity because this is the first
time with no fly.
The swede are pretty rubbish. They are not globe shaped, just look like an
overgrown cigar. I peeled one and was left with enough to feed a hamster. I
think the whitefly last summer is the cause.
Parsnip are really good size and condition generally but some have gone
black.
Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as the
brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we call
gardening.
Baz

Well done! I would have liked a day in the garden, but we are expecting
visitors tomorrow and need a huge clean up. Just stuck my nose round
the urg door to see what's going on.

Despite the dreadful weather you've done really well with your veg.
Pity it's not all in storeable condition. Looks like you've got a few
hours cooking and freezing ahead of you if you don't want to waste it.
Even if that hamster is hypothetical (I imagine it was), it won't manage
half a barrow-load! Enjoy your harvest!

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London