Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Managed to dig today.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:15:12 GMT, Baz wrote:

Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for weeks to
have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the parsnip, carrot
and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have a barrow more than
half full of them.
The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I don't
think they will save very well, which is a pity because this is the first
time with no fly.
The swede are pretty rubbish. They are not globe shaped, just look like an
overgrown cigar. I peeled one and was left with enough to feed a hamster. I
think the whitefly last summer is the cause.
Parsnip are really good size and condition generally but some have gone
black.
Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as the
brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we call
gardening.
Baz

Yep. Tiz that time of year. Though this year, I won't be growing any
veg - just fruit (apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries and
tomatoes). The veg patch is destined for a building project. A friend
who was made redundant a couple of years ago (then 62) got an
allotment last year and I'm going to get all the veg I need from him,
probably in return for assistance with digging and wotnot.

I spent today outside looking (and digging a bit) at the beds and
borders and trying to work out what has gone beyond help. It's a
problem as on the one hand things might recover but, on the other, if
they don't it'll be too late when I find out to get something small to
grow on so I end up paying more for stuff at the garden centre. I do
know that my greenhouse is now full of mouldy mush so I'm not
bothering to try to rescue anything there.

I'm taking the opportunity to start afresh, replan and replant. My
only real hope is that my collections of penstemmons and hardy
fuschias will recover. The former look promising but the latter are
worrying me, again cos it's difficult to tell. I had (and may still
have) fuschias that grow about 6-7 feet tall and about 5 feet wide
from a "cut to ground" start in the season. That's a lot of space (and
height) to fill if they've snuffed it.

The only other thing to report is a couple of amorous frogs in the
pond - a bit early for it I thought but clearly the one underneath was
being pushed around by the one on top and enjoying the experience.
Lots of late frog spawn last year put paid to a clearout of the pond
which I've really got to do now so come what may there'll be a
reduction in water level and temporary removal of all the planting in
the next few weeks.

Jake