Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Managed to dig today.

Baz wrote:
Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for weeks to

I walked over to the allotment for the first time for, umm, over a month
today. I will try and get out there for an hour or two tomorrow if the
weather is the same tomorrow.

have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the parsnip, carrot
and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have a barrow more than
half full of them.

We still have half a plot of potatoes ocha to search for!

The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I don't
think they will save very well, which is a pity because this is the first
time with no fly.

How did you manage to keep the fly off? I am going to try and make an
effort to grow things that we will be more likely to use this year, I'm sick
of growing things that go to waste! So more carrots (never had a good
enough crop to make use of them - so need to grow /more/ so that when half
of them fail it doesn't matter!) and more broccoli, and more effort into the
cauliflower, as they never do well, but I really like romanesco caulis!

Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as the
brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

My brussel sprouts never got over 6" tall. :-( The bloke on the next plot
has these huge plants with giant sized sprouts, and we've got nothing bigger
than a pea

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we call
gardening.

I have a Plan this year - more concentration on the essentials, less faffing
about with the fippery.