Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Managed to dig today.

On 2011-01-08 19:41:36 +0000, Jake said:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:15:12 GMT, Baz wrote:

Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for
weeks to have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the
parsnip, carrot and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have
a barrow more than half full of them.
The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I
don't think they will save very well, which is a pity because this
is the first time with no fly.
The swede are pretty rubbish. They are not globe shaped, just look
like an overgrown cigar. I peeled one and was left with enough to
feed a hamster. I think the whitefly last summer is the cause.
Parsnip are really good size and condition generally but some have
gone black.
Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as
the brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we
call gardening.
Baz

snip
The only other thing to report is a couple of amorous frogs in the
pond - a bit early for it I thought but clearly the one underneath
was being pushed around by the one on top and enjoying the
experience. Lots of late frog spawn last year put paid to a clearout
of the pond which I've really got to do now so come what may there'll
be a reduction in water level and temporary removal of all the
planting in the next few weeks.

Jake

That really is early for frogs - perhaps we shall have an early spring
after all! They must be at least as reliable as a piece of seaweed.
;-)

Did you mean edible or reliable? Only kidding.

Baz