Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Default gravel or sand?

So I ordered enough for a 1 1/2 inch layer on the bottom - in your opinion
what should i put above it? sand or gravel or both?

I would just use it straight. If you want to put something on top of it, suit
yourself. On the one hand, fine gravel/sand is generally better for plants.
On the other hand, Flourite is more likely to stay under gravel than sand.
Fines tend to settle down, while large particles tend to "float" up. (Which is
why there are always new rocks in a plowed field, even though the farmer
removes them every year.) So it might be easier to keep the Flourite under
gravel. (Flourite is very light.)

Leigh