Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default courtyard gardens at Chelsea

On 2011-01-09 00:59:02 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

Of all the exhibits at Chelsea I always *find the courtyard gardens the
most appealing and the most relevant to actual gardening.

However that category has been replaced for 2011 and in its place is
something called
The Artisan Garden category

this new scheme apparently wants or rather "asks designers to use
natural, sustainably resourced materials in an artistic manner."

"The established Urban Gardens category looks for clever solutions for
small outdoor spaces"

SIGH ....................

What's wrong with original Horticultural ideas?
This all seems more Diermaund Garvin than Gertrude Jekyll!!

The gardens described individually have things such as "a grown up
paddling pool" *sound suspiciously "off the wall" with their plans.
Details at:

http://www.hortweek.com/news/bulleti...lletin/article...
7441/?DCMP=EMC-CONParksGardensNews

.
Janet

Do you remember that back in the Cormac days there was some murmurings
about urg doing a courtyard garden? *It all seemed to die away and I
can't remember why - I recall that we said we'd grow some of the plants
if necessary but we went on holiday while it was still being discussed
and ISTR it had died the death by the time we got back!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

If I remember it was due to several things, Having to submit the
design so far in advance so it would require a very long term
comitment from at least one person for no return, how to agree on a
design and then having to get the required plants up to standard
Logistics, having to round up plants from a wide area, hold them in
prime condition till setting up, making sure that there were
sufficient people to build the garden.
It is hard for a Nursery to do a display garden at Chelsea without a
lot of sponsership, gone are the days of Nurseries doing it all
themselves.
David Hill