Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Cannibul

Default gravel or sand?

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:36:54 -0500, "Bruce Geist"
wrote:

Also, I warn you up front, Flourite is a pain to rinse. You will need to
get some window screening or similar thing to rinse the stuff with a hose.
I have spent 30 to 40 minutes per bag rinsing. If you don't rinse
thoroughly, you will have a mess in your tank.

-Bruce

You are trying to hard Bruce. I can rinse a bag in about 10
minutes. The secret is not to beat the stuff to death and not to use
the red as it is much dustier.

What I do is put half a bag in a Rubber Maid tub, then using a hose
end sprayer I give it a good hard spraying, then I dump the water and
spray some more, about three to five cycles of this is good enough,
and it saves most of the fines. Then put the stuff in your tank,
place a pie tin or a plate on it and directing the flow of water onto
the pie tin or plate fill the tank slowly. Last tank I did this with
was a 10 gallon with a full bag of Flourite and the water was clear in
about 10 minutes.