Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Rainbow Eucalyptus

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I really like this tree. Saw a specimen of it in the ground at a local
nursery, it was about 15' tall with a tree trunk about six inches in
diameter. They said it has been there since 1998. They planted it about
five feet from the wall of the store. They have some for sale right now.

http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/trunk02a.jpg
http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/trunk03.jpg
http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/5tree.jpg

The problem is according to my search, in it's native habitat it grows to
250 feet with huge trunk. The local nusery said in here (miami, south
Florida) it will not grow to near that size, but they can't tell me
anything
more. They planted one right next to their foundation wall and it has
not
grown to be huge.

So my question is whether I should take a risk and plant one. On my
property I can plant one 25' or 30' from the house. I don't know if this
is
enough distance, the guy at the nusery says no problem, but he was trying
sell me a tree. Anyone has experience with this tree?

I don't know this tree, but normal, tan colored eucalyptus is a messy
tree, always losing strips of bark and dropping leaves and seed pods as
well as its irritating habit of having limbs snapped-off by a moderate
gust of wind.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw

The losing limps in a hurricane is one major concern.

This is the actual tree planted at that nursery.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000902.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000901.jpg

See how close it is to their building, it looks to be about 35-40' tall now,
and they said it was planted 25 years ago, so they are saying to me not to
worry about being too close to the house. Of course I won't plant it like
they did three feet from the foundation, I have about a 30 foot buffer, but
still...