Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Frustrated rookies like me.

On Jan 10, 8:13*pm, Baz wrote:
Another John wrote in news:lalaw44-
:

I would recommend that you visit the charity shops and browse their
gardening sections. *For very little money, you can collect the best
gardening books for the last (what? 20? 30?) years. *You'll then get:

(1) Advice that you can revisit at leisure.
(2) Your own reference library.
(3) Illustrations galore.
(4) *Differing opinions* on the same subject, which makes for a better
balance of advice.

TV's OK, but it's first and foremost entertainment, not tuition. *It
doesn't tick any of the 4 boxes above (watching Monty Don dig a trench
for his leeks [as if he did anyway!] is by no means the same as seeing a
set of annotated illustrations). *

You'll learn far more from a book than from a TV programme, *and* you
can listen to music while you're reading a book.

2p

I could have said in my OP that I have difficulty with reading.
Should not have been neccessary though as I was trying to get through the
point that that there aren't any television/video/ viewing(get it now)
programmes on the BBC, for goodness sake. There is always one!
Makes me wonder how many people can read!
I think you have been listening to music and reading at the same time you
offered me the advice. Do one thing at once, please. Oh and the * you do
are so goooood. phff

Baz- Hide quoted text -

Come on, you write pretty good, you're reading can't be that bad :-)
You're posts are a lot better than some that appear here.

Someone mentioned the "Expert" books. That would be a good idea for
you, they're very informative and not heavy going at all. Well laid
out too, with lots of illustrations.
The one you want is the "The Vegetable Expert" by Dr Hessayon.
Virtually all garden centres have them, if not, W.H. Smiths will order
one.

The thing is to get in with some local people too. Go down to some
local allotments and pick a few brains about garden clubs etc.