Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default Cyclamen silver mixed

On Jan 11, 4:30*pm, Compo in Caithness
wrote:
On Jan 11, 2:45*pm, wrote:

In article ,

Owdboggy wrote:
Compo in Caithness;909777 Wrote:

Bought a pack of sorry looking Cyclamen 'silver mixed' from Homebase a
month or so ago (felt sorry for them). *They have now perked up but I
don't know where to plant them.

Question: Are they hardy?

The only truly hardy Cyclamen are Cc.coum and hederifolium. The former
flowers from now onwards and the latter from August. In warmer places C.
repandum will survive outside.

What about C. europaeum? :-)

C. coum (and probably C. hederifolium) should be planted in a dry
spot, preferably under evergreen trees or shrubs on the rain
shadow of the eaves. *They loathe waterlogging and don't handle
competition well, but will thrive where few other plants will even
survive. *Given the right conditions, C. coum will take down to -15
Celsius, and perhaps lower.

Most of the ones in flower now, on sale in big outlets are forms of C
persicum which is tender, dry it will stand a few degrees of frost, but
not happy about it.

And it's killed by more than a few degrees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick. *The plants came from Homebase so they were not labelled
properly - 'Cyclamen silver mixed' does not really tell me much. *I
have done a bit of looking about and I think they are Cyclamen coum
silver and if this is the case then from the information in your post
I reckon they'll do just fine in my alpine section of the polytunnel
(Far north of Scotland).

Thanks also to Owdboggy for similar gen.