Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default "Gardens: Old wives' tales" from Saturday's Guardian

On 12/01/2011 08:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:39:14 +0000, Adam
wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-tales-gardens
or
http://gu.com/p/2yyd7

This was the one that shocked me:

Crocks in pots improve drainage
False: a drainage layer in the bottom of pots reduces the volume of
soil available to plant roots. Don't add gravel or crocks, but
ensure pots have drainage holes.

I always generously crock big clay pots with a layer of broken bits,
but never bother with plastic pots as they have multiple holes and
often a 'castellated' base.

AS I find that compost tends to get washed out through the holes I
simply line the bottom of my pots with bit of kitchen roll, stolen from
my wife's kitchen. ;-0 Works for me.