Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default "Gardens: Old wives' tales" from Saturday's Guardian

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 12/01/2011 08:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:39:14 +0000, Adam
wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-tales-gardens
or
http://gu.com/p/2yyd7

This was the one that shocked me:

Crocks in pots improve drainage
False: a drainage layer in the bottom of pots reduces the volume of
soil available to plant roots. Don't add gravel or crocks, but
ensure pots have drainage holes.

I always generously crock big clay pots with a layer of broken bits,
but never bother with plastic pots as they have multiple holes and
often a 'castellated' base.

AS I find that compost tends to get washed out through the holes I simply
line the bottom of my pots with bit of kitchen roll, stolen from my wife's
kitchen. ;-0 Works for me.

When you empty the paper from the Office Shredder onto the compost heap,
fill something such as an empty loaf bag with some of the shredded paper and
keep in the greenhouse / potting shed to put into the bottom of the pots
:-))

(Save nicking the Kitchen Roll from her indoors)

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive