Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default removing tops on tank

On 2 Jan 2003 08:23:54 -0800, (SlimFlem) wrote:

Hi.

I was recommended by the LFS to remove my glass tops now that I am
using a Coralife 4 x 65 on my 75G. They said the light will spread

Well, I've heard several people talk about glass cracking when used
with lots of compact fluorescent light. It isn't that the CF put out
more heat than regular fluorescent tubes, but the tube is much more
compact, so the heat is more concentrated.

On my 75g, I've got an canopy that suspends the lights 5 or 6 inches
over the top of the tank. I don't use any type of glass it. On my
other tanks, the glass does need frequent cleaning, and I can
definitely see a decrease in light levels due to the glass, even 1 day
after cleaning it...

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua