Old 13-01-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Hutson Alan Hutson is offline

Default "Gardens: Old wives' tales" from Saturday's Guardian

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 12/01/2011 08:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:39:14 +0000, Adam

I always generously crock big clay pots with a layer of broken bits,
but never bother with plastic pots as they have multiple holes and
often a 'castellated' base.

If there is a problem with plastic pots, it's that they are vey light and
a tall plant blows over too easily. A few crocks help add weight.

Recently I've tried "blocking" all the drainage holes with thin slices of
Oasis (sometimes adding crocks above simply to add weight). The reason
for doing this is to dissuade ants from entering the pots and forming
nests, and eventually removing much of the soil. As I grow many plants in
very sandy soil, this is a serious problem. So far it looks successful,
but I'd be interested to see the results if anyone else wanted to try it.
By the way, it doesn't seem to affect drainage as water simply runs
through the Oasis.

--

Jeff

I have used the black weed proof stuff in the bottom of pots between
drainage grit/gravel and soil to enable reuse , seems to work.

I have also stabilised light plastic pots by using garden cane or tent pegs
passed thro the drainage holes and into soil or through the gaps in paving.

Alan