Old 13-01-2011, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fullers earth cat litter

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Now that our cat is getting ancient, I've got to provide a litter tray.
I'm using the fuller's earth type litter and the urine soaked clumps I'm
digging into one of our flower beds, which is a bit on the stony/sandy
side at present. As you'd expect from clay it certainly makes the soil
stickier and more moisture retentive, but I'm wondering if it has any
benefits nutrient wise. One thing's for sure, I'm not putting it in the
dustbin after paying good money for it and humping it about!

I had the same problem with an ancient cat, having to provide a litterbox,
but I can't see any benefit in digging clumps of cat pee into my garden so I
didn't.
It never occurred to me that after so many years of active service as a fine
rodent controller around my poultry I somehow needed to get my money back,
so to speak, from the cat litter I eventually had to buy for her as she grew
elderly and more confused. She lived to be 25.
Throw the stuff away.
Does your cat owe you money for the years he or she has given you pleasure?
Are you such a cheapskate that you begrudge paying for some cat litter after
all these years? Pfff.
Tina