Old 13-01-2011, 10:31 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart noble View Post
Now that our cat is getting ancient, I've got to provide a litter tray.
I'm using the fuller's earth type litter and the urine soaked clumps I'm
digging into one of our flower beds, which is a bit on the stony/sandy
side at present. As you'd expect from clay it certainly makes the soil
stickier and more moisture retentive, but I'm wondering if it has any
benefits nutrient wise. One thing's for sure, I'm not putting it in the
dustbin after paying good money for it and humping it about!
I'd guess the urine has a value for nitrogen content . If you could persuade your cat to use one of the wood pellet types of cat litter, then I think that'd help your soil more. It's also a bit more pleasant to handle.

I wouldn't put solid waste on the garden (and indeed your post doesn't suggest that you are)