Old 14-01-2011, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default fullers earth cat litter

On 14/01/2011 08:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:15:35 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Now that our cat is getting ancient, I've got to provide a litter tray.
I'm using the fuller's earth type litter and the urine soaked clumps I'm
digging into one of our flower beds, which is a bit on the stony/sandy
side at present. As you'd expect from clay it certainly makes the soil
stickier and more moisture retentive, but I'm wondering if it has any
benefits nutrient wise. One thing's for sure, I'm not putting it in the
dustbin after paying good money for it and humping it about!

I see no particular problem with digging clumps of fullers earth
soaked in cat pee into the ground if you spread it around a bit. The
fullers earth on its own will do no harm, just adding clay to what you
say is a rather sandy soil, so can only help. The pee on it will break
down fairly rapidly and provide nitrogen to fertilise any plants you
have there. Jake may have a point about it attracting other cats; I
don't know about that. But I wouldn't put solid faeces on the garden.
They will eventually break down as well, but more slowly, and aren't
the sort of thing you want to come across when weeding. Bin them or
flush them down the loo.

Cheers. Those were my initial thoughts too. Clay in a form that's easy
to disperse is actually a bit of a bonus, so it's a win win situation
for me, the cat, and the local council, who won't have to cart it off to
landfill. I could always "just throw it away", but that is hardly a
responsible attitude these days.