Old 14-01-2011, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default "Gardens: Old wives' tales" from Saturday's Guardian

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes
If you want to acheive the same effect without the weight use perlite
instead of grit.

I like vermiculite, not had much success with Perlite. I sprinkle it on
top of seeds as well it's never too heavy for very small seeds.
Good for getting drainage when doing cuttings.

Best stuff i ever sued when first potting up cuttings was a block which
first had to be soaked and swelled to about 8 times it's size but when
used in the pots and with a tiny bit of slow release added gave me
absolutely stupendous root growth on all the cuttings. Not so food for
second potting on but for the first it seems to encourage really good
root growth and you don't want to burn bay roots with strong fertiliser
anyway.
Think i got the coir brick as a freeby from Wiggly Wiggler's when first
bought a wormery. Not seen them much since.

Must look for it again. i had forgotten my success

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association